Orthognathic surgery can correct minor and major dental and skeletal irregularities, usually correcting misalignment of the teeth and jaw. It can treat a number of issues.
Purpose of Orthognathic Surgery
Orthognathic surgery can be performed if you have problems that can’t be corrected with orthodontic treatment alone. It can be used to:
- Correct asymmetry of the face, improving underbites, open bites, crossbites, and overbites
- Improve chewing and make it easier to bite and chew
- Provide relief from obstructive sleep apnea
- Correct bite fit or jaw closure
- Correct swallowing and speech problems
- Repair facial injuries or birth defects
- Relieve pain caused by temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder and other jaw problems
Parris Orthodontics will determine if orthognathic surgery is the correct treatment option for you through an in-depth evaluation. If we can fix the problem through orthodontics, orthognathic surgery may not be necessary. However, if it is determined that you need surgery to correct your problem, we are happy to refer you to one of our partners. Call us today to set up your initial consultation!